Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The last few days have been awesome.  Keep that in mind while you are listening to my ramblings. In the last few days I have gone to places and eaten things that I never thought I would do.  I also saw sights that are foreign, unexpected and different than anything I had hoped to see here in NYC. 

In the last three days I have gotten the chance to really expand my cultural horizons. It was not always the easiest process.  On Monday we got a chance to see the Tenement Museum. It was one of those moments when you can step back in time and live the life of another.  The lives of those immigrants is something that is interesting, yet I would not want to live.  Industrialisation was a period of change, of revolutionary proportions and it shows in the way that the tenement houses functioned.  There was a simple elegance to the houses. Although at the same time there was a sense of the pride of the families and the cultural relevance of the period.  The history of the houses and families was incredible and gives you real perspective into how life was lived a century ago.  Our tour guide Dave Dallis (ZeDyallis) was amazing.  He was a man passionate and dedicated to the history of not only the building, but New York in general. "Teachers don't work. Those guys work...(pointing to men hauling dry wall)"  He was an amazing guide.

In the midst of this crazy day we went to Katz's Famous Deli. It was the greatest sandwich I have ever eaten.  Over one pound of freshly made pastrami with spicy mustard and rye bread.  I was salivating as I was looking at the walls to determine who all of the "celebrities" were.  All sandwiches were piled high, delicious, mouth-watering delights.  I only ate my own sandwich but the rest were worthy of eating.  Everything from Pastrami, to Corned Beef to Tongue.  They were all looking lovely and ready to be devoured. 

That day we also went into Chinatown. It was a cultural shock (and awe).  The stores were crazy, the streets full and the roadside stands sold fruits like Durian that are illegal in some areas because they smell so badly.  I was surprised not to see people passed out around the stand.  It was an interesting time.  I ate candy that was flavored like "buttered corn" and it was the grossest thing I have ever eaten. It was a gelatinous, gross, mess of grossness.  Then I also ate a candy in an nondescript cellophane wrapper that tasted like...gross.  I did however eat dried crab, fish and kiwi which was amazing. 

The following day we went to Harlem.  It was one of the quietest, most quaint areas I have ever visited.  There was a definite feeling of historical significance and the people were incredibly friendly (except for the crazy guy that yelled at us for getting in his space with a bag over his head).  Looking at the hospital that Martin Luther King Jr. was rushed to after being stabbed and the YMCA that Malcolm X used to stay at was amazing.  We also ate at Ms. Maude's restaurant and got authentic Southern food.  Fried chicken, fried catfish, ribs, collard greens, yams, red beans and rice, corn bread and mac and cheese.  We drank sodas, waters and lemonade out of mason jars...it was great.  We also had got to eat potato pie and peach cobbler for dessert.

Later that day we went to Central Park.  A Park amongst parks.  Lots of people, its like a country within a city.  Great experience to see the leisurely part of the busiest city in the world. 

Today we went to Grant's Tomb.  The Largest tomb in all of the Western Hemisphere.  He may not have been the best president, but he has one of the largest tombs in all the world.  Good for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment